Thursday, April 30, 2009

Awareness

Now that I am back in the U.S., and I have extensive knowledge of the situation in Dharvi, I have decided to raise awareness for them. It has become apparent that the popular movie, Slumdog Millionaire, has brought much attention to this part of the world, and the lifestyle of slum-dwellers. However, I intend to work toward better education for the people living in the slums. The first part of their education should be about hygeine and what they can do to prevent the spread of communicable diseases. The second part of their education program would include a fundamental education; the basic alphabet and math. Education is certainly something that the parents there want for their children. I feel like educating them would give them a better foundation upon which to make the decision to stay in the slums or to seek a higher standard of living. Either way, it is their choice, but with an education, they can make better choices.