Thursday, April 30, 2009

Ethical Dilimmas

(copied from http://www.wolvo.net/gallery/v/Mumbai+Slum+Dwellers_001/)
Although it is quite impossible to predict every ethical dilemma that one might encounter, I made a list of several that I tried to be aware of:
  1. I must respect the dignity of these people.

  2. I cannot interfere in their lives by offering false hope.
  3. I cannot interfere in their lives by giving them money or material possessions.
Respecting the dignity of the people was easy, but not following their customs, which is potentially insulting, was sometimes difficult. I learned the cultural faux pauxs right away so that I did not embarrass myself or others.


I did not want to give the impression that I was there to help them get out of their current situation. I did not want these people to think that I could offer them an easy solution (in fact, some of them did not want a solution).
(copied from http://www.wolvo.net/gallery/v/Mumbai+Slum+Dwellers_001/)
It was sometimes difficult for me to allow them to go on living in the slums knowing that I could give them a little money to make their lives better. But I tried to remember that I would have been making their lives better according to my standards. I refrained from giving them gifts as they might have misconstrued this to mean that I expected something in return.